Wednesday, September 11, 2013

[SINGLE REVIEW] LORDE - ROYALS


“We crave a different kind of buzz” croons Lorde in her debut single for Royals. We indeed receive a different kind of buzz from Lorde. The music and vocals are incredibly simple, yet indicative of what some pop music has been producing these days. (ie. Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines) Just a simple bass kick and snap are the backbone of the song, and pulsating synthy bass manages to sneak in during the chorus and hang around for the rest of the song. However, it’s Lorde’s vocals that carry the whole damn thing. It might as well have been a cappella, and I think I would still like it. It’s a little sing songy, but I have to admit, it’s a really catchy melody. The actual lyrics are societal commentary on the Rich vs Poor (a topic that’s been around for ages), but at least she’s singing about something with real meaning and passion (I’m looking at you Miley). I might add that Lorde is only 16, but I really don’t want that to affect your opinion, so pretend I didn’t say anything. Check it out, let it get through the first chorus, and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Her album drops September 30th more info HERE

By; Randy Nieto 

No comments:

Post a Comment