Thursday, February 6, 2014

[#TBT] AIR / MOON SAFARI (1998)

AIR - MOON SAFARI (VIRGIN) 1998
By; Randy Nieto


Little did Air know that when they released their first major full length debut Moon Safari on Virgin records, that they would be unleashing a maelstrom of electro bands that would follow in the millennium that was to come. They landed on the scene as music was just starting to take a decisive turn back to the synthesizers of the early 80s, a reaction to the years of grunge and hard rock we were all forced to endure, and Moon Safari was poised to turn things back around. I remember whenever I put on ‘Le Femme D’Argent’ my girlfriend would always remark “Oh, you’re putting that song from TAXI on again.” Looking back now I guess the keyboard solo does sound a little bit like the TAXI theme song. Regardless of my girlfriend’s zingers, this is an amazing album. The bass lines on this record dance around the songs slow and beautifully, transcending to an ethereal level when combined with the wash of the synthesizers. Beth Hirsch’s vocals on All I Need are haunting and reminiscent of Beth Gibbons of Portishead, but with less kill myself and more let’s make love. These guys are like Portishead after years of therapy. Just listen for yourself. Below is the entire album for you to relax in the tub with a glass of wine. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment