Friday, September 13, 2013

[ALBUM REVIEW] NEKO CASE - THE WORSE THINGS GET...



At first I thought it was going to be difficult to write an objective review of Neko Case’s new record titled The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You, because although I am a big fan, I was in a crabby mood, and I was ready to tell you all about how it sounds exactly like her old records (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing), but I was annoyed and lately I’ve been craving something different. And then something funny happened. I purchased the record, and 2 songs in, she serenaded the bad mood right the fuck out of me. I don’t know if it was the lyrics -“If I puked up some sonnets, would you call me a miracle?”-, or the twanged out treble on her guitar that always seems to hypnotize me if I’m not paying too much attention. She is no longer going for the straight up pop song like she did before, no real catchy hooks here that were present on her previous records. But in this maturity she manages to still really rope you in, and I’m not quite sure how she does it. It’s a curve ball that works so well it might strike out anyone who gives this record a chance. She’s in top form on this album, pure Neko Case, and I can honestly say it’s her best effort since Fox Confessor Brings The Flood. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.

By; Randy Nieto 

No comments:

Post a Comment